Breed: Neapolitan Mastiff
Birthday: ~ July 2006
Rescued: June 15, 2008
Re-homed: June 10, 2012
- Possibility of hip dysplasia.
- Takes Glucosamine on a daily basis.
- Face needs to be washed on a regular basis.
- Typical guard dog; sounds the alarm whenever new people approach.
- Although cautious with new people but Sassy warms up quickly.
- Loves treats and is highly motivated by food.
- Responds well to positive reinforcement training and should be the only method used.
- Sassy is a strong willed dog and needs to value you in order for her to listen.
- Loves big sticks and is content to carry them with her on her walks.
- Enjoys rolling in grass and sunbathing.
- Requires regular walks. Content to veg if allowed to and can easily put on weight.
- Doesn’t mind being groomed and Sassy is good for nails.
- Periodically gets irritable, in which case it’s best to leave her alone.
- Sensitive to being held or hugged too long.
- Needs an experienced owner. One preferably familiar with the Mastiff breeds.
- Needs people tolerant of the salvia baths and who will not neglect the hygiene requirements associated with this breed.
- The breed is weather susceptible to both heat and cold so needs to be housed accordingly.
- Not recommended for families with kids (due to periodic irritability).
- Best as a solo dog, although not out of the question If it is the right match of a calm dog.
- Needs a fenced yard